Hari's CornerHumour, comics, tech, law, software, reviews, essays, articles and HOWTOs intermingled with random philosophy now and then
Why I shoot in Raw format
Software and Technology by
Posted on Sat, Dec 29, 2018 at 21:57 IST (last updated: Sat, Dec 29, 2018 @ 21:57 IST)
A few reasons why I've completely switched to shooting Raw with my Canon EOS 550D camera. You'll find these reasons in a number of photography websites, but I still wanted to record my own reasons here:
- Because it preserves the entire sensor data and allows manipulation losslessly.
- JPEG processing in-camera is usually inferior to processing JPEG through a proper software.
- Because powerful, open source Raw processing software like darktable and rawtherapee exist!
- Because using a single Raw file, you can generate multipe JPEGs with different effects/processing and experiment without losing the original data.
- Because shadow/highlights can be recovered better with the raw data due to higher color depth/dynamic range.
- Because it feels good to output your own version of the image captured by the camera, rather than accept the "default" processed image that the camera gives you.
- And finally, because it is fun.