Hari's CornerHumour, comics, tech, law, software, reviews, essays, articles and HOWTOs intermingled with random philosophy now and then
RTS gaming in Linux
Software and Technology by
Posted on Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 16:05 IST (last updated: Mon, Jun 22, 2009 @ 16:22 IST)
- Bos Wars
- A futuristic RTS game with a rate-based economy system (rather than an absolute system where you collect "1000 gold, 500 wood, 50 energy" etc. I actually tried this out, but the AI is highly aggressive even in easy mode and rushes you even before you have time to build a few basic structures.
- Though I've not tried it out, this is actually more than a game. It's an RTS engine that can be extended to create new games and scenarios.
- Globulation 2
- An unusual RTS game that does away with the usual clickity-click micromanagement usually found in most RTS of the collect-food-wood-gold-build-until-you-die" variety. Seems interesting enough to explore though graphically it seems rather underwhelming. Worth trying out.
- Looks very promising for a fantasy RTS gamer. Screenshots look really tempting and attractive. Another on the must-try list.
- An Open Source RTS game inspired by Settlers 1 and 2 (which I've never played myself).
In this series
- Free Software/Open Source photo editing/management toolkit
- My toolkit for digital artwork: free software
- Random software: ASCII Art Editor - Aewan
- RTS gaming in Linux
- kPovModeler - Easy 3D Rendering Tool
- FOSS video software for all your needs
- Linux games I want to try out
- Visual Basic (almost) on Linux
- Static image gallery generators
- Obscure blog software you might not be aware of
- Linux games you might not be aware of
- Rosegarden: Compose Music in Linux
- My web development toolkit
- 3D modelling tool that's easier to use than Blender
- Random Linux games for your enjoyment